USPTO - The official United States Patent and Trademark Office website provides information on current patent laws and filing information, including filing of both provisional and nonprovisional patent applications. www.uspto.gov
GOVERNMENT RESOURCES - Please check the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) website before filing any form to ensure a revision has not been issued.
- The most recent USPTO forms can be found here (forms used with the provisional application are PTO/SB/16, PTO/SB/17, and PTO 1595): www.uspto.gov/forms/index.jsp
- To find a registered patent attorney or patent agent: www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/ip-policy/registered-patent-attorneys-and-agents
- USPTO EFS website: www.uspto.gov/patents/process/file/efs/index.jsp
- USPTO EPAS website: epas.uspto.gov/
BOOKS - The following written resources are recommended:
- Ferrell, John S. Monopoly Protection: The 90-Minute Guide to Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets. Menlo Park: BayWater Publishing, 2013.
- Pressman, David. Patent it Yourself. Berkeley: Nolo Press, 1986, 2002.
- Rivette, Kevin G. and David Kline. Rembrandts in the Attic: Unlocking the Hidden Value of Patents. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 1999.
- Kawasaki, Guy and Michele Moreno. Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, HarperBusiness, 1999, 2000.
- Kawasaki, Guy. Selling the Dream. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 1991, 1992.
FORMS FOR FILING - Many of the forms you need can be found online or in the back of the book, Provisional Patents: The 90 Minute Guide to Filing Your Own Application. The following sources are for downloadable and example forms.